The Municipality of
Katipunan (formerly Lubungan) was founded by the Franciscan Missionaries
who came to the island of Mindanao and Sulu and established the
“Parochia” of Lubungan, Zamboanga.
These evangelists established settlements composed of Subanen
communities who were subsequently converted to the Christian faith. The
government was administered by the ‘Kapitan’ who were appointed to the
position upon recommendation of the missionaries.
On. February 2, 1914, fifteen (15) years after the Americans took
control of the country. Frank Carpenter, the Governor General of Mindanao
and Sulu, signed into law Executive Order No. 21 instituting Lubungan
(former name of Katipunan) as a duly constituted municipality upon the
recommendation of Provincial Governor Luis Lim.
The first municipal official appointed in 1915 was Municipal
President Leoncio Adasa. In 1919 the first municipal election was held and
the late Fernando Eguia was then elected Municipal President at that time.
In 1936 Lubungan was renamed into Katipunan upon the recommendation
of the council of Lubungan under Res. No. 8 by virtue of Commonwealth Act.
No.3832, the name “Katipunan” became effective. Year 1951 a petition
of the inhabitants of the barrios of Manukan, Manawan and Ponot (now Jose
Dalman) made the recommendation of the Provincial Board headed by the
former Governor Serapio Datoc, caused the passage of Republic Act 655,
dated June 16, 1951 creating the Municipality of Manukan composed of the
Barangays mentioned. Dohinob Daku River became the boundary of the said
In 1964, another municipality was created by virtue of Executive
Order No. 115 signed by Diosdado Macapagal; President of the Philippines,
barrios of Langatian, Denoman, Capase, Dohinob and Marupay was segregated
from the municipality of Katipunan to become the municipality of Pres.
Manuel A. Roxas, jurisdiction of the municipality of Katipunan.
At present, Katipunan has 30 barangays within its juridical
boundary. These were made possible by virtue of the provisions of
Presidential Decree No. 68 and 68-A.